December 19, 2012

Second Verse

It's the same old story.  I went to the physical therapist today and she reiterated her directive that I not knit.  She showed me how knitters specifically hurt themselves by knitting for long periods of time.  It starts in the pads of the hands, they get stiff and it feels like arthritis, but it's not (if you don't already have it, that is).  It works up the wrist, the forearm, the shoulder and then to your back.  Huh?  What madness is this?  It's unbelievable!  And then she showed me.  I felt defeated.

So, I have a non-choice to make.  Clearly, I have done the unthinkable.  I gave up knitting.  For an hour.  Mainly because my hands hurt after the session.  As soon as the aspirin kicked in, I finished the socks for DS:


And then I cast on for some teeny, tiny little mittens for Nylah:


The pattern is Soft Wave Mittens by Anna Hromova (Ravelry).  I'm using US #3 needles and the last of the Caron Simply Soft baby sport yarn, circa early 1800 (as in at least 100 years old and I had to deep stash dive for it).  The yarn is 100% acrylic, it's soft and her little hands will be inside her snow suit so it's not as if they have a real job to do.

My next mission is to find something small to make that I can finish fast enough to do other things. Like laundry (yuck!), or dishes (double yuck!), or clean the bathroom (triple yuck!).  Not that I don't do those things anyway, but it's usually before I start knitting.

So, the last mitten is already on the needles, and they take about an hour each to make and then I'll move on to the next knitting thing.  All I can do is hope that the hot/cold packs do their job before I have to go for therapy again.

I need to make two hats and one cowl, but first I'm going to wash the dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment