December 26, 2012

Merry Christmas!

Christmas is over, and I hope you all had a very merry one.  The presents have been opened and used, the dinner is gone, dishes washed and now it's time for the rest of the clean up.

I entered a contest more than a year ago and in 2011 I won, you can read about it here if you care to.  In the box was a bunch of stuff I adored, along with a bunch of stuff I wouldn't have looked at twice.

In that box was this skein of yarn that just hangs around because it's not on my favorites list.  It's not even close to colors I would choose, and maybe it feels, well, not so soft.  It's a brand I know, and the price is reasonable, but ... still ... it's just not particularly my cup of tea.

Lana Grossa Meilenweit Multieffekt:


When the speed holiday knitting happened it wasn't in consideration, however, while I was returning the stash to it's regularly designated bins, I came across this skein and thought to myself, 'There's no way in heck I want you back in my stash.  You are loud, proud, a good yarn and you deserve a home with an owner who will appreciate you'.  And that's when it hit me.

My son will wear any socks I make him.  They can be loud, pink, rough - anything.  So today I cast on for a pair of socks for him.


If this sock yarn was a solid color, I'd like it.  It has other advantages, like sturdy, utilitarian, competent ...

But I just got finished knitting a hat with the softest, richest, most beautiful yarn I've ever worked with, Classic Elite Fresco, and now I'm working this yarn.  Bah humbug!  

It is kind of Christmas-y, though.


Do you have one of those skeins?  Care to share what you did with yours?  If you're lucky, like I am, you have someone in  your family who will take anything you make and appreciate it.  That's where my DS comes in.  He has a pair of socks made from Madelinetosh and another pair made with Socks that Rock (Blue Moon Fiber Arts).  It makes no difference to him.

I thought maybe my mother would like a pair of socks, but giving them to her would be a cruel joke.  First the color, and she wouldn't hold back.  Then the texture, she'd hold back a little, but she'd bring up the socks at a family gathering and talk about how badly I treat her with knitted goods.

My next project will more than make up for what I'm knitting today.  I'll figure out what that will be and I'll forget this pair of socks ever happened.

Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

  1. Haha! The way I get rid of unloved (sock) yarn is, that I let my DD choose from that kind of stash for her projects. She loves to knit for friends, and is not too picky about colors, etc. But she's picky about what she likes for herself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, that is louder than my Trekking!

    ReplyDelete