December 27, 2012

Oh My Word

I am going to be kind, but you don't have to be.  Tell me honestly, what do you think of these socks?



Putrid?  Loud?  Offensive? Scary? The pattern is plain vanilla, but the design is ... um ... somewhat lacking in beauty.  Don't blame the camera that took the picture, blame the yarn.  And the colors are not a trick of the eye or the camera - the socks are honestly that color.  Oy!

It took me a day and a half of trying to knit with my eyes closed.  Sheesh!  The yarn gets rougher with every stitch.

This pair is going to be fraternal twins because when I bound off the toe of sock one, I just cast on for sock two, not even daring to attempt twin-ness.


But let me tell you what scares me the most.

Remember how I told you that every time I went stash diving I ran into this yarn?  It just wouldn't go away, so I decided to make socks for my son and then it hit me.

I'm going to run into these socks for the rest of their lives.  I'm going to see them on his feet and have to fight back making an ugly face.  I'm going to see them in the laundry basket.  I'm going to see them in the middle of the floor or half hanging out of a boot by the front door.  I'm going to see one, and a few days later I'll see the other one which I will sweep from under the sofa.

Can you tell I'm cringing?

What can I do?  Who would want them?  Who could love them?  They hurt my eyes, my hands and my feelings.  So sad.

My next project is going to be something soft and in one color, or maybe 2, but certainly no more than that.  My eyes need a rest, I mean it.

No comments:

Post a Comment