October 29, 2012

Postcard From The Edge

I'm writing from my cell phone because there is no Internet service - thank you very much Hurricane Sandy.  The storm is expected tomorrow, but certain parts of New York are already starting to flood.  We've been told that, in addition to high winds, to expect rain for 36 hours.  Yikes!

It's very unfortunate that my house happens to be in 'Zone A' which is considered to be the first area to flood.  I have two choices at this point, since the city has asked us to evacuate.  I can go to a shelter and bunk with a bunch of  Zone A folks and leave my cat here alone, or I can take my son and my cat to my mom's house.  Unfortunately, she's in Zone A also.  So, I guess I'm staying home.

That said, I am told to expect power to go out for several days.  I have batteries for the flashlight, jugs of water and a manual can opener in case we have to eat cold soup - or cat food.  My son and I have our 'go bags' packed.  Now all we can do is hope for the best.

With that, I just want to wish my neighbors in Zone A good luck, stay warm, safe and dry - and may all of our roof tops stay attached to our homes.

If the power goes out, I'll see you all in a few days.  If not, I'll see you sooner.

1 comment:

  1. All the best of luck to you and your neighbors! Hope it's not as bad as they say it might be!

    ReplyDelete