September 13, 2010

Rainy Days

Because it rained all day on Sunday, I was forced to stay inside and knit (and spin).  I recently purchased a fiber 'flower' from Spinning Awesome Good, BFL/Tussah in Moonlight Shimmy, 3.9 ounces:


Which turned into this squishy,soft and lovely yarn which is Navajo plied:


Other than it's obvious beauty, I don't have all the particulars because it just came off the spool today, but I bet it's going to be just great as a little colorwork for a baby sweater or hat.  I can't wait to use it.

Saturday was a busy day for me since I had a bout of start-itis.  I cast on for socks from Stephanie van der Linden's book (which I have in German, but it recently came out in English).  The book is called Around the World in Knitted Socks.  I love every pair of socks in the book, but if it wasn't for Monika, these socks would not be possible.  Thanks Monika!  These socks are called Kilim:


They might look complicated, but they're not.  I'm using Knit Picks Bare in fingering weight and Regia Design Line Kaffe Fassett in Landscape Fire.  Lovely socks and perfect for me and my cankles, but these socks were originally intended as a gift for someone with skinny ankles.  Unfortunately for her, she won't be getting these socks ... fortunately for me, I will!

Most of the sock patterns in the book will have you casting on 70-80 stitches for a sock.  Even using the smallest needles, the socks don't get smaller, just tighter.  That said, this book isn't for everyone especially those of you with skinny ankles - unless you're really, really good at math.

Lastly, I cast on shawl #10 yesterday and I'm already at the halfway mark.  The shawl is called Spring Thaw and what I love about the pattern is the finished edge which you can see here, but only if you're on Ravelry.  Here's a peek:

 

This shawl is absolutely going into the dye pot!  The yarn is Misti Alpaca Lace in cream, but it looks old and tired and I think a dye job will make this shawl more attractive.  I'll let you know how that goes.

2 comments:

  1. You've really been busy this weekend! Love the handspun yarn! Wow, you really are going to knit those socks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to have met you and this knitting group you guys have inspired me to take pride and joy in my work when I was losing intrest. I don't think I ever leave this group! Your stuck with me. LOL!

    ReplyDelete