September 04, 2010

Bad At Math?

If you've ever read my blog, then you know about my relationship with math.  I can sure enough count to 10 without a problem, but I can't count to 10 five times in a row without losing count.  My mouth says 28, 29, 30, and my brain says 52, 64, 29 ... it's most pathetic.

All of this is to say that I know I'm bad at math, make no mistake, so when I took up the challenge to spin 8 ounces of fiber, I knew I could easily fill two 4 ounce spools.  I had a bag of fiber that was labeled as 1/2 pound, which is 8 ounces.  Right?


I presume that my spools hold 4 ounces each and you can see that they're really packed, so reasonably two spools would have seen me to the bottom of this huge bag of fiber.  Well I filled up the two spools:


And to my surprise, there's this much fiber left over:


I believe that I am the only person on the planet whose fiber and yarn multiplies while I'm using it.  That's a whole 'nother spool!  Am I really that bad at math?  Three spools and then I'm done, right?  No, actually.  My larger than life mouth committed me to spinning 16 ounces of fiber.  Oy!

Well, I couldn't keep mindlessly spinning, so I took a break and finished shawl #9, Calais.  It's blocking right now.


Not too shabby for a day's work, eh?  I like the shawl, but I wasn't overly thrilled with the yarn I used, Jojoland 100% wool, which is stretchy and a little rough.  Not too rough to be against skin, but not nearly as soft as, say, cashmere.  One more shawl to go before I've completed my commitment for 10 shawls.  Yay!

Seems like the more yarn I use, the more I have left over.  I had two skeins of this yarn at 220 yards each (440 yards).  The pattern called for 382 yards and I still have half a skein of yarn left over.  Why doesn't my yarn ever get used up?

So, I guess I'll get back to my wheel and ply up some yarn so I can free up a spool so I can spin up some yarn so I can keep my ill chosen commitment to spin up 16 ounces.  What was I thinking?

No comments:

Post a Comment