January 28, 2013

Not Today

Have you ever had one of those days where the only thing that went right is that you woke up at all?  Today was that day for me.

Today I had to take my mother to the hospital for a one hour procedure.  Her appointment was at 7:30a, but we got there at 8:00a because of a traffic jam in the parking lot.  That should have been my first clue.

At 8:30a, Mom was dressed in hospital garb in a small room with one hard chair where I sit, knit and we wait.  The nurse came in to take blood, check her blood pressure and take her temperature.  Another nurse came in and told us what's going to happen, shows us the stent they're going to put in, and off she goes.

9:30a - we were waiting for her to go in for the procedure.

10:30a - still waiting

11:30a - still waiting.  I ask how long it's going to be and was told there was a patient is such dire straits that they are now on life support.  I start fussing, they bring Mom graham crackers and juice.

12:30p, 1:30p - still waiting.  Now I'm having a fit!  We threaten to leave.  My time is as valuable as any doctor's time, isn't it?

2:30p - they finally take mom in for her one hour procedure.  It takes two hours.

So far, I've had no food, I'm nervous and won't leave the hospital waiting area and I'm wondering if something went wrong.

4:30p - they wheel Mom back into her room, she's fine.  They decided that the location of the blockage and the percentage of the blockage isn't severe enough for a stent.  Thank goodness!

They tell us we can leave the hospital in two hours.

Three hours later, we're still there.  A doctor comes in and tells us that we can't leave because the patient down the hall is dying and all hands are in that room.

Now I'm at the end of my rope!

I have to end the story there, because Mom is fine and all we have to do is break out of the hospital, so at 8:15p we dressed her as best we could and demanded that someone, anyone, remove the IV tube.  a few minutes later, a nurse shows up and keeps us there for another 15 minutes with after-care instructions and we're out.

It's dark, raining, cold, and for me, it's late.  I get home, no parking spaces so I have to drive around for 20 minutes looking for a place to park.  It sucks not having a driveway.

At the end of it all, here's the only thing I have to show for my anxiety ridden day:

I'm mostly finished with a hat called Contemporary by Vera Valimaki, made with a 'one skein wonder' from The Plucky Knitter.  Featured above with my Della Q pouch, which I absolutely adore.

Thank goodness this day is over!

No comments:

Post a Comment