January 10, 2012

The Cold & The Cap

On Sunday Joanne called to ask if I wanted to go to Knitty City, I jumped at the chance because what's better than a Sunday at the yarn store?  From my window I saw the sun was shining brightly and my house wasn't being battered by wind.  It was a good day.
However, within 10 minutes of being outside, I realized the air had a little nip to it.  Since I had no gloves I went to the bodega for a cup of coffee.  At the bus stop, I realized my head was cold, too.  What made me leave without taking a hat?  By the time I got to the yarn store it was cold, overcast and the wind kicked up - and I was freezing.  Dang!

When I arrived at Knitty City I decided I was going to make a hat to wear home.  As if I could knit that fast!  I purchased two skeins each of Madeleinetosh's Tosh Vintage in duchess and Cascade 220 in blue heat for a different project.  I also bought a pair of US #7 circular needles to facilitate the delusion of starting and finishing a hat in less than three hours; all while chatting in the knitting circle, window shopping from my seat, and thumbing through magazines.  Yeh, OK.

As you can see - I did get started on a pattern called Amelie (Ravelry).  I made a few modifications: I made the brim longer because I know from experience that the ribbed edge of my hats doesn't last long, and I made the hat with solid colors.

On Sunday, maybe 3 inches:


I got about this far by Monday, about halfway:



And this far by today (almost done):


So my 'one day' hat is taking a few days.

I'm not quite sure I made the right choices: the hat seems rather large and the royal purple I saw yesterday looks like black cherry,  blueberry or some variation of brown today.  The brim may be too deep (at the moment this is looking like a Precious Moments sleeping cap), but if I make the slouch part long enough I can fold that up. 

I'm going to forge ahead because my ride home this evening is supposed to be chilly and I need a hat - and just one more day of knitting.

1 comment:

  1. You are so funny! I'd love to see how this hat fits in the end. It would be Spring like here too, if it were not for that icy wind.

    ReplyDelete