April 02, 2014

Accentuate the Positive

This morning, at about 7:15, I was jolted awake by someone banging on my front door and frantically ringing the bell.  I must admit that I watch a lot of crime TV, so as the banging and ringing went on I expected someone to say, "Open up!  It's the police!".  Thank goodness it was only my son who worked the night shift last night and forgot his keys.

In less than 15 minutes, he was packed and out the door headed to Soho to get on line to purchase a pair of sneakers (what?!), "See you tomorrow"  he said, because the sneakers won't be available until tomorrow morning.  Young folks are cray-cray.

Yesterday, a neighbor stopped me in the street and asked me to come to her house to teach her to knit today.  So this morning I pulled myself together with a croissant and coffee, and headed over.  About 15 minutes into the lesson, she said she wasn't smart enough, couldn't learn and didn't want to waste my time.

That means this day already has two strikes against it.

I didn't feel to knit or spin, so I decided to take a walk about a 1,000 steps away from my house and sat on a bench at Clasons Point to watch the Bronx River float by:


Not exactly a sunny day, but it's warmer than it has been and folks around here are starting to wear shorts and chancletas (which is the Spanish word for scruffy shoes/sandals) with their Fall coats.


I thought I detected some sunshine near the Throgs Neck Bridge, but no, maybe it was just something shiny glinting off the rust-bucket barge parked there, and if there ever was a glimmer of sunshine it was fleeting.

So I sat down and marveled at how none of the rocks have graffiti on them, and how my newest socks look pretty good in this light:


And how the next pair of socks I'm working on are maybe not such a slog-fest:

And maybe I should just focus on the positive, like these crocuses growing in my front yard around the newly opened chicks and hens:


And then maybe I won't need to call on these guys:


I hope wherever you are, you're able to make the best of this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment