February 28, 2014

Surfing At Home

My biggest issue with making the Acer Cardigan is that it was one color.  Not striping, not tonal, but monotonously blue/light purple.  Thank goodness there was ribbing and cables because I slept while knitting the sleeves, which explains all the times I had to rip back.

However, after a stash dip for what was on top of the stash heap, I came across two skeins of Wandering Wool yarn I bought at Stitches East (Hartford, CT) last year.  The gray skein is called gray matter, and the gradient ball is gray dawn.

For the life of me, I don't know why I bought gray yarn:


But I think it had something to do with the colors inside the gradient ball, that blue is so lovely:


No matter the reason, I purchased this yarn back in October and there it sat until I watched Diane of the Knitabulls Podcast and learned she made nine pairs of Stitch Surfer socks, and she's having a Stitch Surfer knit along going on in her group in March.  Nine pairs!!  It might also have had something to do with Heather of the Bunniphish Crafts podcast having Knitty pattern contest where I might have a ghost of a chance of winning something.

Or maybe I just find knitting socks to be a palate cleanser and the pattern is free.  Either way, the journey has begun:


I can see how these socks can become like potato chip knitting.  It never gets boring.  Of course, if you don't like the purl stitch, they might not be your cup of tea, but I find it fun and interesting.

It's going to be more fun when I start digging through my scraps, and instead of finding two colors that match, maybe I'll use four colors and make mismatched socks.  Won't that be scandalous!

1 comment:

  1. It sure would and I will be the first to want a pair to rock about with. Can't wait to see the finished product of these socks and those soon to come.

    ReplyDelete