December 31, 2013

Happy New Year!

I wish you all a happy and healthy year and hope that you find that there is nothing more important than taking care of yourself and spending time with the ones you love.

For the past two weeks I've had my grand daughter here with me.  She's only 17 months old and as cute as can be, and she's quiet.  She sings when Bubble Guppies or Dora the Explorer come on, but other than that, you'd never know she was around.

Except for the time when I left her alone for about 8 seconds and she pulled all of the baby wipes out of the package.  Or when she wrote on the television screen with crayon while I was watching her!  I didn't know she had a crayon in her hand.  I even watched as she took a bite out of my lip balm, she was just too quick.  She also quietly and with forethought left me a (clean) diaper trail that went from one end of the house to the other.  I just couldn't get upset with this face:


After she was gone, I decided to make her some socks with some yarn walnuts I have laying around.  Just some plain vanilla socks, the white is Lion Brand sock yarn and the blue/multi is leftover Koigu.


The second pair are made of, again, white Lion Brand sock yarn and the blue is Panda bamboo superwash:


Sorry about the dark photos, it was raining outside and for some reason, my flash didn't want to work.

And my first project for 2014 will be the Acer Cardigan by Amy Christoffers.  I joined a knit along with the Knits n' Things Podcast group on Ravelry which goes from January 1 to March 1.  Finally something I don't have to finish in a month because I rarely finish anything on deadline.

I gathered my materials: Valley Yarns Northfield in purple haze and now I'm just waiting until midnight to cast on:


This yarn reminds me of Karabella Aurora 8 which I love, but with a little less spring.   And the price is just right.

Which brings me to my New Year's resolve, not resolution, because calling it resolve might make me stick to it in a less rigid kind of way.  This year I am going to curb my impulse to buy yarn - especially single skeins.

I have enough sweater quantities of yarn to make myself at least 3 sweaters, and I plan to do so.  I will shop only twice in 2014: once at Vogue Knitting Live (my birthday gift to myself) and Rhinebeck 2014 (who can resist?).

I also received this book as a gift, 55 Christmas Balls to Knit, and I will make as many as I can during the year to give out as gifts because when all else fails, they can be made with scrap yarn and mini skeins.

Lastly, I plan to make the Sheep Heid hat before this winter is over!  I've been putting it off and procrastinating, but I really want that hat!  I have the yarn for it (ordered it all the way from far away) and it's been in a bag calling my name and I've been ignoring it.  Well, time is up for procrastinating.

So, as I wait for the ball to drop on TV and wait for the horns of my neighbors to blow to ring in the new year, I bid you all a safe night.

1 comment: