August 11, 2013

The Joy of Summer

Most people consider 'the city' to be Manhattan, New York (aka New York, New York).  And in Manhattan there is Central Park which is not only huge, but highly populated by bikers, hikers and sunbathers.  You can almost forget you are in New York City while in Central Park, except for the crowds.

I live in the Bronx, which is still considered 'the city', but it's north of Manhattan.  And in the Bronx we have beautiful parks, one of which is Barretto Park.  Yesterday was the first time I'd ever been there and what a surprise!

There's a walkway with water views:


And there's a boat that is used as a traveling swimming pool.  They wouldn't let me on board because I wasn't in a swimsuit (you can thank me for that later):



There are flowering bushes all over the place, and there was fruit growing on them.  They looked like grapes and they looked ripe, but I was afraid to pluck them.   Don't they looked downright juicy?


There were a lot of people in the park, but as you can see, the place wasn't crowded - at all.  You could see the children running through the sprinklers and hear them laughing, and there were delicious food smells coming from somewhere, but they don't allow open fire in the park so I didn't see anything cooking.


The sun was shining, there was a cool breeze blowing and I was there until almost dusk.  There wasn't a beautiful sunset because there were too many clouds in the sky, but if there had been it would have been the perfect end to a perfect Summer day.

Yes, we have grass and trees and space here in the Bronx.  You can sit on a bench and watch the water, or swim on an old barge or lay on the grass and read a book.

I know I said I'd have some knitting to show today, but the spinning isn't quite done and the one sock I'm almost done with is still only almost done.  I'll get to the knitting ... tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment