August 13, 2013

Spin, Knit, Win

I know I've been spinning a lot since the Tour de France, but I can't help it.  In keeping with the theme of spinning fibers I've never spun before, I spun up some Rambouillet from Widdershin Woolworks (Etsy).  Oh. My. Goodness.  I love it!  It would be easy to go on and on about the spinning experience, but it's not yarn yet, so I'm going to hold tight until then.

Here's what it looks like right now:


Some parts of it are solid, some parts had the barber pole effect and contrary to the picture, it's more matte in color.  It doesn't have a colorway, but if I were going to name it I would call it "Zombies in Springtime".

Now, I said there would be some knitting and there is.  From the Knit Your Socks on Straight by Alice Curtis, I'm making the Wrapped in Hugs socks.  The yarn is Plucky Knitter OOAK (one of a kind) in no colorway (beige), using US #2 straight needles:


The picture came out kind of bright, but if you tilt your screen you might see the little wraps on the side of the sock.  When you put the sock on, it looks like this:


How cute is that?  The only modification was the twisted rib at the top of the sock which I did not do because it was too fiddly.  It'll be under my pants anyway, so it's fine.  I must say that making my socks on straight needles is not nearly as satisfying to me as a knitter as making them on double points.

Now on the wheel is a Loop batt and I'm really excited to be spinning something with sparkle in it.  I wonder what I'll get because I never know until the final wash since sometimes what I end up with is not what I dream it will be.

Lastly, I won a prize!  I participated in a spin along on Ravelry with Diane of the Knitabulls Podcast and I won some of her fiber - from her own stash.  Yay!  It's Into the Whirled merino/superwash merino/silk - a luxe blend.  Woo hoo!   I was so excited to hear her announce my name on her podcast I kind of felt like a rock star.  Thank you, Diane!


Finally, I must confess I forgot something.  I've been forgetting something every year for years now.  It was my blogiversary!  Five long years - can you believe it?  I'd like to thank my followers (and lurkers) for tuning in.



No comments:

Post a Comment