August 06, 2013

Day Off

You know that feeling you get when you have the day off and the only chores left to be done are the ones that don't require your total attention?  You go put the laundry in the washing machine and then you walk away for 30 minutes or so.  That was my day today, it was glorious!

On Sunday I finished some plain vanilla socks while helping my mother entertain family visiting from out of town.  They are plain vanilla socks (no pattern) in Vesper sock yarn in the meadow colorway using US #2 needles:


I had no sock blockers with me so they're not at their best, but they're finished.  Yay!  My niece will get to enjoy wearing them - even if they weren't the most enjoyable to knit.

With the leftover yarn I'm making a preemie hat:


When I got bored with that, I started spinning some one-of-a-kind fiber from Into the Whirled superwash merino on my new Turkish spindle which I purchased from Diane at Sistermaide  (Etsy):


When I got bored with that, I went to the fiber cabinet and found some more fiber that I'd never spun before Rambouillet from Widdershin Woolworks (Etsy):


Nice pretty colors, but it's been a bear to spin!  I don't know why I'm having a problem spinning it.  I think my timing or tempo or mojo is jacked up, so I had to step away from the wheel and I'll try again tomorrow.

Then the mail came and my fiber of the month from Paradise Fibers arrived: 8 ounces of Polwarth/Silk blend:


And 8 ounces of bamboo top in Aegean Blue.  When I took this fiber out of the box, I thought the blue was tissue paper, but it turns out that the blue you see is the real color of the fiber!  Yikes!  It's bright, shiny and there's a lot of it.


I'm also working on some other knitting, but I think I have to rip it back and start again because my stitch count is off.  You shouldn't be surprised because you know that math is the enemy.  Gauge is also the enemy because it lies right to my face.

And by the way, here's a snippet of a conversation I had with mom on Sunday.

Mom:  Where's my hat?
Me:  What hat?
Mom: Then where's my scarf?
Me:  You never asked for a scarf.
Mom:  I know you're supposed to be making me something, and I'll remind you as soon as I remember.

(Ha!  I remember what I promised - but I'm not telling her!)

No comments:

Post a Comment