June 25, 2011

Progress

Making 10 pairs of socks in a year is a lot for sock knitting semi-newbies.  The ladies are still plugging away, the challenge is still on and socks are still being made.  Today Carol finished her Little Acorn socks:


I hope these socks look green on your computer because the lighting in our knitting room matched with my camera's inability to change with it's environment, these socks don't look like the lovely green that they are.

Carol modified the single row of acorns with a triple row.  She's got skills!

The third sock is going to be Hydrangea by Janel Laidman from the Eclectic Sole book.  I love that book!

Carmen is in using the Nutkin pattern to design a hat.  She's halfway done with the hat and working out the decreases at the top which we pressed her to write down so we don't have to figure it out for ourselves.  She's a designer in the making!  Go Carmen!

And not to pass up an opportunity to squeeze in something about the Tour de Fleece, here are the contenders which the ladies in knitting class chose for me:


Of course not all five braids will be spun - there's not enough time - but they are headed for the wheel:

1. Hand Painted Roving BFL in Persimmon
2. Sock Pixie wool & soy in Willow
3. Fat Cat Knits merino & soy in Seaside Cottage
4. Dripping Fiber Studios polwarth in Garden Gloves
5. Freckle Face Fibers BFL in Purple Poppies

Doing five braids (4 ounces each) in two weeks would mean I'd have to spin every day for 16 hours a day, so naturally it won't all get spun, but I'm going to try.

It's going to be challenging, but I'll score at least that many skeins of yarn which would be a beautiful thing.  I'm going to prepare one or two braids in advance so I can concentrate on spinning when the race begins.

Anyone else joining the challenge?  If so, good luck to you!   I'd love to hear your goals and see what you're spinning.

Now all I have to do is pray for skeins with no knots!

1 comment:

  1. The Acorn socks are lovely, no matter what the real color is.
    I've just picked out a box full of FatCatKnits fiber for my TdF spinning. I'm sure I'm not going to spin it all, because as it is with those things, my husband is coming during that time, which means he'll show up probably every day for at least a meal. Bah! We'll see how much we'll get done! :o)

    ReplyDelete