October 11, 2010

Deceptively Easy

I'm working on the Baby Surprise Sweater by Elizabeth Zimmerman which I have been working on for a couple of weeks now.  It's all garter stitch which, for any experienced knitter is a dream pattern.  I mean, what's easier than garter stitch, right?

Well ... let me tell you.  Garter stitch is easy, so easy in fact that I just zipped past the instructions as if I'd designed the sweater myself.  Until I realized that there's a bunch of decreases and then a bunch of increases.  I blew right through those rows like they didn't exist and then tinked back about 5 rows.

I love how the sweater shapes itself (if you follow the directions):


I'm using the left over yarn from my Cabled Yoke Sweater, Rowan Felted Tweed in blue gray tweed and US #5 needles. The thing is that this sweater is 'baby' size but the pattern doesn't offer measurements, so it's a crap shoot as to how big or small the sweater will end up being.

Anyway, I'm going to trudge along and read the directions from now until row 97 when I'll be finished - presumably.  I only pray that the baby I'm making it for won't be surprised if the sweater is (God forbid!) too big or too small.

Meanwhile, I'd like to thank the commenter on yesterday's blog regarding the hole in my kitchen ceiling.  I'd like to think of it as a sun roof (Cozy Town you cracked me up!), but I'm looking up into the bathroom and the only sight I could possibly see is moon shine!  And thank goodness I don't see that!  LOL

1 comment:

  1. Two posts? Wow. I'm impressed. I can't wait to see the baby sweater. It looks easy enough. And don't you read through the WHOLE pattern first before you start? Come on. That and swatching. I mean really. What is this world coming to?

    ReplyDelete