October 26, 2010

Baby Surprise Jacket

It took me a couple of weeks, but I finally knit my first Elizabeth Zimmerman garment, the Baby Surprise Jacket.


Now I understand why it's knit in more than one color, so you can see the direction of the knitting change.   I used Rowan Felted Tweed, 2 balls in a blue/gray tweed and US#7 needles.  It's longer in the body than I thought it would be and it's going to look like the baby is wearing a dress, but I hope not.

There was no button drama this time, I already had 5 buttons.  Yay!  And the best part, the sleeves won't be too long (for a change).  EZ is a genius and now I understand why.

I got a request from Sojourn Knitter who wanted to see my new Golding Spindle, so here it is:



And so to full out my list of purchases, here are the spools I bought at Rhinebeck:


Just a few more days until Stitches East and I'm hoping to get there, too.

Now before I forget to mention this, the Soundview Stitchers are taking on a new challenge.  They will start in January and make 10 pairs of socks in 2011.  The sock patterns will be of my choosing and the goal is to make all 10 pairs before year end.  The socks will be lacy, toe up, cuff down, cabled, multi-colored and anything else I can find.

My readers are invited to join us for the challenge, if you'd like.  All you have to do is make the sock patterns as they come up and when you're done, send me a picture and I'll post them during the course of the year.  Imagine your socks [here].

OK, back to knitting or spinning or something.

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to do it. I may not get to 10 pairs of socks in 2011, but I MAY get to 10 socks period. But that's okay, right? I have good excuses. Three of them to be exact! No pressue.

    I love the baby surprise Jacket. I think a multi colored yarn would look nice too. I saw one that reminded me of the vanilla, chocoloate, strawberry ice cream made by breyers. It looked equally cute. How did it feel knitting on size 7? You're all about the 2s and 3s these days.

    Post a link to your new blog when you get a chance. I want to add it to my faves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a handsome sweater! Even with the solid color, the pattern lines and yarn texture gives it a good look. I must put this pattern further up on my queue now that you've paved the way.

    Thanks for posting the rest of your loot!
    Isn't tsunami the perfect name for the spindle?! And it's purr-purr too :P

    ReplyDelete