November 24, 2009

Happy Anniversary

Today is my 23 year anniversary at the job.  Let me just say at the outset that I'm grateful to have a job that lets me buy yarn so I can knit.

Twenty three years means that I'm only 2 years away from joining the Quarter Century Club which means free lunch once every year with the rest of the Quarter Century Club members.

It means that I can start looking forward to retirement and not behind at all the reasons and times I could have lost my job, like when the stock market crashed (twice), or when my whole department quit or was relocated to Canada (4 times).

And it means that I can keep my yarn habit for 8 more years before I have to start living off my stash and eating cat food, and potentially having a stash of only acrylic yarn.

My job allowed me to raise my son as a single parent and not have to skimp on the babysitter and thereby leaving him home alone in his crib with the warning not to open the door for strangers.  It allowed me to keep him in parochial school all these years (he's in 11th grade) and to keep him (an only child) in the lifestyle to which he has become accustomed while my shoes come out of Pay Less.

It allowed me to buy this shack house that needs a million dollars in repairs.  It paid for the new boiler, oil tank, roof and some new windows.  It's also going to help me pay the plumber who is on his way here tonight to have a look see why my walls are crying and then make me cry when he gives me the estimate.

My job keeps me aware of time passing, and never fails to let me know that I forgot something, lost something, need to keep track of something and have enough money to do something.

All I have to do now is live to 'the day'.  I get all tingly inside thinking about all the things I will do after retirement.  Not to mention all the knitting/spinning I will get done.

So Happy Anniversary to me and Happy Thanksgiving (and knitting) to all!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! That's no small feat to stay in one job so long! Happy Anniversary and Happy Thanksgiving! To Canada, really? If they relocate again, you have to come visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Twenty how much? Good googely woogely!
    Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete