May 02, 2013

Notice Anything?

My blog has a new look courtesy of Beck of Gusler Design who put together my new ball band and logo and I couldn't be happier.  Thank you again Beck.  You did a great job quickly and perfectly.

Now on to knitting.

Patrick is a co-worker and he wants a pair of handknit socks.  Making socks for co-workers is like falling into a rabbit hole.  There's 26 people in the group and I know I'm not going to make everyone a pair of socks, but I made an exception for Patrick.

Since Patrick doesn't wear the same size socks as me, and because he's not around to try the sock on, I had to improvise - like I always do when I'm making socks for someone else.

I had Patrick trace his right foot (while standing) onto a piece of paper:


In my stash is some Plucky Knitter One Hit Wonder in an unnamed colorway with no yardage, and got my US #1 needles.  It looked like sock yarn, it feels like it, and surely it is enough yarn to make socks.  His shoe size is 11 1/2 and the widest part of his foot is 4".  I bet he doesn't know that.

I found a pattern that is top down and stretchy, but not too much since he has kind of skinny ankles.  I used US #1 needles and cast on 72 stitches (I don't want him wearing sock girdles after all) and followed the pattern called Tracks (Ravelry).  I got past the cuff, the 7" of leg and the heel flap.  Now I'm onto the foot and Patrick is not here to try on the sock, so now what?

Well, the sock has to fit snug, but I don't want the sock so short he has to fold his toes in half to wear them.  Too short and the width of the sock will decrease, and I don't want that either.

So, I took my needle and stuck it through the smallest part of the sock:


and held it against the heel of the paper, then laid the sock flat on the same paper.  (Sorry about the picture quality, apparently my camera decides when and how much it wants to work.)





I then flattened the sock out on the paper and guessed where his big toe meets his foot and gave a little tug - not too much though.  (I was unable to show you the tug because that would require the use of three hands and I only have two.)


And after about 64 rows of the knitting even, I was ready to start the toe decreases.  When that was done, the sock fit the picture and I had Patrick try it on.


It is a perfect fit.  Whew!  Thank goodness.

So, with the row counts in place, the second sock is a breeze to knit and I'm almost done.  Yay!


The heel is turned and I'm halfway on the foot.  With a little 'power knitting' I should be done with these socks tonight, at the least by tomorrow during my commute to work - if I get a seat.

And when these socks are done, maybe I'll finish my Hoaloha, or the French Cancan or maybe I'll dig up Cora or the Marin scarf.  With all those UFOs to choose from, would it be wrong to cast on something else?

2 comments: