I'm sure I mentioned that I'm participating in the Ravellenic games. I've had my eye on the Summer Blooms shawl ever since I saw it on the cover of Interweave Knits. Now, I've got 17 days to make the shawl so I can have bragging rights on the Team Bob page. (Of course if I don't finish in 17 days, then I have the rest of my life to finish the shawl.)
In preparation for the event, I read the instructions which are clear as a bell. I strung 275 beads on the yarn even though the pattern says to use a bead hook to pull loops through. Being aware of any deviations from the instructions is half the battle.
So, on Friday at precisely 4:00 p.m. Eastern Time, I prepared for take off.
Day 1: Cast on 417 stitches.
Attempt #1 resulted in not having pulled out enough yarn to cast on that many stitches. I ran out at 200 stitches. Rip it out, start again.
Attempt #2: same instructions, but this time I lost count. I seem to be perpetually stuck at 58 or 59, never sure if I said fifty eight or sixty eight. Started to count the stitches from the beginning and in the process dropped a bunch of stitches. Rip it out, start again.
Attempt #3: same instructions, only I still didn't have enough yarn to cast on 417 stitches. Rip it out, start again.
Attempt #4: again, same instructions. I got the right number of stitches, I worked the pattern. Woo hoo, I thought, I'm on my way. Except that the strung beads did not center on the stitch like they would if they'd been added like the instructions said. No problem. I strung the beads on with dental floss. Time consuming, but the beads sit right and we're OK.
Until I got to the end of the row and had a bunch of stitches left over. What the ... ? OK. I'll just double up the decreases and fudge my way through it. Row 1 done, I make it to row 3 and guess what? The beads don't line up. Okaaaaaay ...
Now I'm angry. I rip it all out and go to bed.
Day 2: clock is ticking.
Attempt #1, 2, 3 and 4 exactly as above, including the getting mad thing and ripping it all out. Only this time, I took a nap, woke up and worked on this instead, Church Mouse baby wrap sweater:
I'm up to the ruffled collar, but I felt guilty about not casting on - and day 2 slipped by.
Not only that, but now I'm in a panic because the pattern calls for 875 yards and I only had 800 yards to being with. I can't even tell you how many times I broke the yarn and threw it in a heap. The only reason I didn't throw those scraps out is because the beads are still on it and I need them. Sheesh! This whole project is already a disaster!
Day 3: same instructions, new resolve.
I cast on 417 stitches. I counted each stitch on the chart as I went along. There were no left over stitches when I got to the end of the row. Hoo-ray! Beads were put on with dental floss (waxed floss, by the way), and the beads on row 3 lined up with the beads on row 1. It's a miracle!
Can you believe I'm already up to row 9 (of 48). I'm on my way!!
Here's a picture I took when I was up to row 5 (I think):
That's all I'm going to say because if I say anything more, my yarn will probably burst into flame.
Go Team Bob!