November 27, 2011

Aftermath

Here's hoping that everyone enjoyed their holiday, no matter how you spent it.  The weather where I was couldn't have been better; cool and sunny - almost warm, considering how close I was to Canada.

I got a chance to talk with family members I haven't seen in a while, and learned something that made me happy.  Several years ago I made a poncho for my Aunt Joan (at her request, I might add).  I can't remember the colorway, but I used the Baby Loop yarn and it turned out pretty good.  Fast forward to Thanksgiving Day and she told me that she had gotten all the use out of the poncho and put it in an auction to support breast cancer - and got $75 for it.  Well bust my buttons, I was tickled beyond reason!

She said the ladies at the auction knew the value of a hand knit item and paid top dollar for it, but the part that had me pleased beyond reason is the fact that the shawl will be enjoyed by someone else and the money will support a really good cause.  I hope the next person that gets it uses it and, if it lasts long enough to get passed on again, then that would be icing on the cake.

Next, I finished the Holden Shawl - except for the blocking.  I'm pleased with it and I think my mother will love it.  The part that makes the shawl, in my opinion, is the picot edge.  It's a pain to do, but it makes such a pretty effect.


I'll have better pictures of the shawl after blocking.

While on my mini vacation I also started the Hootenanny Socks.


The instructions are imprecise and her numbers don't exactly add up starting with the heel flap, but if you know how to make socks and the theory of working the heel, you should be fine.  I'm using Heritage Sock Yarn (Cascade) that I bought at Knitty City and this yarn is perfect for summer weight socks.  Almost feels like cotton, but softer.

Now that Thanksgiving is done, it's time to get with the holiday knitting.  There, it's out there - as much as I wanted to keep it to myself.

Yes, I'm going to get something done between now and Christmas.  I've decided to take the pressure off myself by not declaring who will get and who won't since I always (and I mean always) fall short of the mark.  This year I'm going to make what I make and that will be the end of it.  No pressure.  Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment