June 11, 2013

The Mystery of Love

Who knows what goes on in a knitter's mind when she sees yarn that she believes she cannot live without.  Is it color?  Is it based on the Brand and past experience?  What makes you go ga-ga over yarn?

For me, I'm a sucker for sock yarn in wild colors, even though I'm hesitant to use them.  What will I wear them with?  Jeans, like always.  So one evening while cruising on Ravelry I came across a Raveler who was destashing sock yarn.  She had every color known to man, but I had to limit myself because a) I'm not rich, and b) I made a huge purchase already.

Here's what I got:

Vesper sock yarn in Meadow.


And some sKNITchers in Feed Me Seymour.


And Vesper in Twitterpated:


And since it was after midnight on the day I bought those skeins, why end the madness?  After all, I'd only spent a moderate amount of money on sock yarn, so why not unload my life's savings and buy something for my Kromski Prelude?  After all, the Tour de Fleece is coming up.

So, I broke down and purchased a WooLee Winder.


You can't see me right now, but every time I look at the WooLee Winder I squeal!  My favorite wheel has a new way to wind the yarn onto the bobbin with no effort on my part.   Now I can spin endlessly with no interruptions.  Woo hoo!!

Of course, the next day I was reminded why one should never, ever, ever shop after midnight.  It's a rabbit hole with poverty at the end of it.  Fortunately we can go without food for a week if we drink lots of water.

I joined Team Must Stash (Staci and Steph) which is totally laid back - my kind of team.  Your goal can be to spin 10 minutes a day, or to spin a sweater's worth of fiber.  My goal is to spin fiber I've never spun before.  The only issue is that the fibers I plan to spin are 6-8 ounces, but I struggle to spin even four ounces!  Yikes!  My goals may change as the Tour goes on.

Finally, in case you don't think I knit at all, I found some yarn in my stash that I cannot identify.  Do you know what this is?


It's 518 yards of Shetland-like wool, meaning it's not soft.  The color is Willow and I'm not sure if I scored it from the knitting class stash or if I actually purchased it.  The stash holds all kinds of mysteries, and my memory fails me.

I'm making something with it that I can't talk about yet a paid for pattern), but here's a preview:


That's it for me.  I have to go to bed before I'm tempted to spend more money on stuff I want, but don't need.

1 comment: