June 26, 2013

Marcia's Socks

In the recent past, I scored some sKnitches Cinema Sock Club in the Feed Me Seymour colorway. You must remember Seymour from The Little Shop of Horrors, here in New York it was on TV recently.  Anyway, it's 100% superwash merino 3-ply.

Usually I avoid superwash - I just don't like the feel, but the color saturation is unbeatable.  I'm glad I had the experience, but I won't be purchasing it again because 'like' is not 'love', and I only like this yarn.


This yarn looks so different when wound into a pancake:


And different again when knit into plain vanilla socks:


Here's the story on these socks: Marcia has really skinny feet and when it comes to socks I'm on auto pilot.  What I should have done was make these socks on a US #1 needle, but I used a US #2.

Now, if Marcia is going to be able to wear these socks comfortably, then the foot part of the sock has to fit!  I don't want the sock to bunch up in her shoe, and I certainly don't want to contribute to any slip and fall incidents because the sock slid up or down her foot,   

To offset the fact that the socks were wider than her foot, I added 1x1 ribbing to the sole.  That brought the width of the sock in by at least half an inch.  When sock #1 was done she tried it on and it was a perfect fit.  Wonderful news for me.  The second sock flew off the needles.

The top of the socks mostly match, but the feet don't match and she doesn't care.  Neither do I.

One more skein down and one happy recipient.  I love stashing down!

No comments:

Post a Comment